Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This past weekend I visited Bologna with a side of Bolognese!

Sunday, last day of my fall vacation and I decided to travel just outside of Firenze to nearby Bologna.  My intentions were to take the 6 euro train two hours to a city just 30 or so minutes from the city where I live.  Well to my dismay the computer systems were jacked and I was unable to find my time and ticket, so I settled for a 24 euro fast train with screaming babies, but at least I had a guaranteed seat.

Anyways to my arrival at 9:30 am I sat in the station and waited for my travel companion, Courtney to soon arrive at 11!  It was chilly so I wandered a bit around the area and then found a warm side of the station to sit on to keep away from the wind.  Once she arrived we decided we must walk towards their duomo, church, and find the shopping and food.

Bologna I had not heard good things about, it is dark, gothic, architecture is totally different from Florence. Their "leaning tower" wasn't much of a leaning tower but more of something that looked as if it were about to fall at any moment.

Why I was not impressed with the scenery, we decided to get lost a little bit and wander outside of the normal areas of Bologna.  While chatting we managed to get pretty lost and figured well if we have anything it's appetites so let's find our way back close to the duomo and then eat our time away until our train comes to take us home.

We order the traditional foods we were instructed that were best in Bologna.  Food wise, I was very impressed, so impressed that we splurged and even got dessert.  It was amazing.  We sat at a cafe outside and had our late lunch surrounded by huge torches of fire to keep us warm, it was ideal.

We shopped and shopped a little more, I bought nothing, thank you very much.  My shopping strike has officially started with my nightmares of having to give away my entire new wardrobe because it will not fit into my luggage.

This week we are in classes and then we have a long weekend for the holiday off Monday for All Saints Day.  I believe daylight savings for here is Saturday night of Halloween, but we shall see.  I am planning on traveling somewhere this weekend, but not sure where.  There is a couple of options, I will keep you posted!



This was Courtney's dish, it was large tortellini, called something but I forget.  It was filled with pumpkin and pancetta with a balsamic vinaigrette reduction sauce!  It was unreal!  Heavenly!
Bon Appetito!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having way too much fun and will never come home. lol.... I'm so glad to hear ur having fun and traveling...

    ReplyDelete